Haitian authorities free all eight kidnapped American missionaries

All the eight missionaries who were kidnapped in Haiti have been freed, authorities said on Wednesday. The kidnapped group included six Americans and two Canadian missionaries. All of them have now been released, Haitian authorities said.

Witnesses earlier said that one of the missing missionaries, 20-year-old Sandy Lynn Connor, had been found dead, but earlier reports later said her body was found on Tuesday.

The captive group was on a mission trip to build homes and worship when they were kidnapped on Friday by armed men in a village in Haiti’s north-west region of Grise Rivieres.

In a written statement, the Canadian Church Mission (CCM) said: “CCM grieves the loss of a beloved member of our church family, Sandy Connor, who died while on mission in Haiti. Our thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones and all of Sandy’s relatives.”

Shortly after the kidnapping, Haitian President Jovenel Moise declared a state of emergency following the crime. His government also mobilized security forces to beef up security in areas of the country close to the area where the kidnapping occurred.

Read the full story at The Miami Herald.

Related

Twenty-one-year-old missionary killed in violent abduction in Haiti

Singer played anthem about kidnapping and it became top Christian music download in U.S.

‘We’re angry’: Former Catholic priest makes urgent plea for armed resistance against armed groups in Central America

Leave a Comment